Blue Stream Academy Ltd. needs to collect and use information about the Data Subjects who we come into contact with in order to carry out our work. This information must be collected and dealt with appropriately – whether on paper, electronically, or recorded on other material – and there are safeguards to ensure this under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Blue Stream Academy Ltd. is the Data Controller under the Act, and will determine what purposes the information held will be used for.
It is also responsible for notifying the Information Commissioner of the data it holds or is likely to hold, and the general purposes that this data will be used for.
Blue Stream Academy Ltd. is unlikely to share data with other organisations, but in circumstances where this is required, the Data Subject will be made aware how and with whom their information will be shared.
There are circumstances where the law allows Blue Stream Academy Ltd. to disclose data without the data subject’s consent; these are:
- Carrying out a legal duty as authorised by an appropriate legal officer.
- The Data Subject has already made the information public.
- Conducting any legal proceedings, obtaining legal advice or defending any legal rights.
Blue Stream Academy Ltd. places great importance on the correct treatment of personal information as a key element in the success of our working relationships, and in maintaining the confidence of those with whom we deal. Blue Stream Academy Ltd. intends to ensure that personal information is treated lawfully and correctly.
To this end Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will adhere to the Principles of the Data Protection Act 1998.
Specifically, the Principles require that personal information:
- Shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met.
- Shall be obtained only for one or more of the purposes specified in the Act, and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
- Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to those purpose(s).
- Shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary.
- Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Act.
- Shall be kept secure by the Data Controller who takes appropriate technical and other measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing or accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal information.
- Shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal information.
Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will, through appropriate management, strict application of criteria and controls:
- Observe fully conditions regarding the fair collection and use of information.
Meet its legal obligations to specify the purposes for which information is used.
- Collect and process appropriate information, and only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil its operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements.
- Ensure the quality of information used.
- Ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held, can be fully exercised under the Act. These include:
- The right to be informed that processing is being undertaken.
- The right of access to one’s personal information.
- The right to prevent processing in certain circumstances.
- The right to correct, rectify, block or erase information which is regarded as wrong information.
- Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information.
Ensure that personal information is not transferred abroad without suitable safeguards.
- Treat people justly and fairly whatever their age, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation or ethnicity when dealing with requests for information.
- Set out clear procedures for responding to requests for information.
Informed consent is when:
A Data Subject clearly understands why their information is needed, who it will be shared with, the possible consequences of them agreeing or refusing the proposed use of the data and then gives their consent.
Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will ensure that data is collected within the boundaries defined in this policy. This applies to data that is collected in person, or by completing a form.
When collecting data, Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will ensure that the Data Subject:
- Clearly understands why the information is needed.
- Understands what it will be used for and what the consequences are should the Data Subject decide not to give consent to processing.
- As far as reasonably possible, grants explicit consent, either written or verbal for data to be processed.
- Is, as far as reasonably practicable, competent enough to give consent and has given so freely without any duress.
- Has received sufficient information on why their data is needed and how it will be used.
Information and records relating to service users will be stored securely and will only be accessible to authorised staff and volunteers.
Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed or required statute and will be disposed of appropriately.
It is Blue Stream Academy Ltd.’s responsibility to ensure all personal and company data is non-recoverable from any computer system previously used within the organisation which has been passed on/sold to a third party.
Data access and accuracy
All Data Subjects have the right to access the information Blue Stream Academy Ltd. holds about them. Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will also take reasonable steps ensure that this information is kept up to date by asking data subjects whether there have been any changes.
In addition, Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will ensure that:
- It has a Data Protection Officer with specific responsibility for ensuring compliance with Data Protection.
- Everyone processing personal information understands that they are contractually responsible for following good data protection practice.
- Everyone processing personal information is appropriately trained to do so.
- Everyone processing personal information is appropriately supervised.
- Anybody wanting to make enquiries about handling personal information knows what to do.
- It deals promptly and courteously with any enquiries about handling personal information.
- It describes clearly how it handles personal information.
- It will regularly review and audit the ways it holds, manages and uses personal information.
- It regularly assesses and evaluates its methods and performance in relation to handling personal information.
- All staff are aware that a breach of the rules and procedures identified in this policy may lead to disciplinary action being taken against them.
This policy will be updated as necessary to reflect best practice in data management, security and control and to ensure compliance with any changes or amendments made to the Data Protection Act 1998.
In case of any queries or questions in relation to this policy please contact the Blue Stream Academy Ltd. Data Protection Officer.
The following is a list of definitions of the technical terms Blue Stream Academy Ltd. have used is intended to aid understanding of this policy.
Data Controller – The person who (either alone or with others) decides what personal information Blue Stream Academy Ltd. will hold and how it will be held or used.
Data Protection Act 1998 – The UK legislation that provides a framework for responsible behaviour by those using personal information.
Data Protection Officer – The person responsible for ensuring that it follows its data protection policy and complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 is Ross Cowlishaw (Director).
Data Subject/Service User – The individual whose personal information is being held or processed by Blue Stream Academy Ltd. (for example: a client, an employee).
‘Explicit’ Consent – is a freely given, specific and informed agreement by a Data Subject (see definition) to the processing* of personal information* about her/him. Explicit consent is needed for processing sensitive* data.
* See definition
Notification – Notifying the Information Commissioner about the data processing activities of Blue Stream Academy Ltd. as certain activities may be exempt from notification.
Information Commissioner – The UK Information Commissioner responsible for implementing and overseeing the Data Protection Act 1998.
Processing – means collecting, amending, handling, storing or disclosing personal information.
Personal Information – Information about living individuals that enables them to be identified – e.g. name and address. It does not apply to information about companies and agencies but applies to named persons or employees within Blue Stream Academy Ltd.
Sensitive Data – means data about:
- Racial or ethnic origin.
- Political opinions.
- Religious or similar beliefs.
- Trade union membership.
- Physical or mental health.
- Sexual preferences.
- Criminal record.
- Criminal proceedings relating to a data subject’s offences.